USA Gymnast McKayla Maroney came into event finals a heavy favorite to win on Day 9 of the 2012 Summer Olympics at North Greenwich Arena in London, England on Sunday.
The 16-year-old gymnast, who performed a flawless vault earlier in the week to help the USA Women’s Gymnastics Team take home the gold in the Team final, slipped during her landing and ended up with the silver medal.
“I didn’t deserve to to win gold if I landed on my butt,” McKayla said. “I’m not disappointed about the silver, I’m disappointed about my performance.”
Sandra Raluca Izbasa of Romania took home the gold while Maria Paseka of Russia won bronze.
- Olympic Gymnast McKayla Maroney Team USA
- Olympic Gymnast Aly Raisman Wins Gold for Floor Exercise
- Olympic Gymnast Alexandra Raisman Team USA
- USA Gymnast Gabby Douglas Wins Olympic Gold Individual All-Around
- Meet 2012 USA Olympic Women’s Gymnastic Team